Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Try Before You Buy

More photos of fall antics at the Black Squirrel Ranch, a couple of which are of the "try before you buy" Jersey calf that Farmer Ron decided Mr. H and I could feed. The calf has been in "foster care" 2-3 weeks here. In case you're wondering, I still like the goats better...and barn cats best! Sorry dogs; sorry, dogs.

I milk the goats in the evening, feed the calf from that and then any surplus in addition to what is thawed from the frozen goat milk allotment goes toward the baby's breakfast. I warm it up in the microwave in the a.m. and she happily drinks the juice that Peaches and Bea have provided.

Currently, I'm giving the little girl some antibiotics (at least that's what FR told me it is) to combat a possible oncoming respiratory illness. After her romp outside the barn on Sunday, the little Jersey has been a bit weak. I was also allowed to put a "ski jacket" on her to keep her warm.

Jersey Girl helping Mr. H build a bigger goat feeder

Curious to be out in the world! Probably not smart to have
a Jersey in the woods so close to deer season.....

Buck, out for a walk along the woods




Buck, checking my headlamp at 9pm, which is when I finished washing 40 poop-filled
calf jackets...incidentally, the "soiling" had been dried on for a while! Anyone wanna wash
their clothes at my house?

The little miss in her red ski jacket. She doesn't have a name yet, or my handy
friend Michelle would have already sent an embroidered nameplate to sew on!


No comments:

Post a Comment