Thursday, February 3, 2011

Herodotus Homer

"Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night--nor snowshoes-- stays these courageous couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"...Herodotus, 2500 years ago (also used today as the postal carriers oath).

I thought while trying to get the mail today, I'd get creative and also learn how to use snowshoes. Apparently, this wasn't the right type of snow, because I didn't delicately balance on top of a frosty crust. Instead, I sunk ten inches into the snow, then had to bring my foot, leg, and the additional weight of a snowshoe back up with every step. From a cardiovascular standpoint, I'm a-ok though.








Honestly, I don't remember going to get the mail this way in Arizona!




Bottoms up! I'm checking out the natural spring that runs under
our yard through a culvert and across the street. The Bluebird Hollow Creek
flows through everyone's property, and it's quite pretty in the winter with
all of the watercress still growing in it.



4 comments:

  1. A sled gets the mail quicker... well, one way at least. Wisconsin snow is not compatible with those snowshoes, thats funny. Glad your all safe in the winter wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The crick is priddy until it freezes up and floods. And then... the skating rink is priddy until it backs up into your basement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how I missed these photos, but they are great! Gunnar was manning the camera, right?

    ReplyDelete