Saturday, July 21, 2012

Mice are Nice

"Mice are Nice." That's part of the little kitty diddy that Mr. H recited to the baby barn kittens this morning after we realized that Pork Chop actually caught his first little barn mouse. (Please note: we use the terms "his" and "her" loosely with the tiny trio, as we can't actually tell the gender of the kittens yet.)

(Warning: pictures are graphic. Do not scroll below if you aren't prepared to see Pork Chop and his conquest.)





I discovered this wondrous event as I sat down to milk my first goat. Peaches was in the milking stanchion munching grain, and from over the wall to the big brooding stall that we've turned into a kitten nursery, I kept hearing very low growls. These intermittent, low growls were nothing like anything I'd heard from these little feline pipsqueaks before, so it didn't register at first what might be going on in the kitty boudoir.



I leaned over the wall and saw Porky with a baby mouse in its mouth! Now this is what I'm "paying" these guys for. We know that one of them will at least kill a mouse. As I told my mother this morning when she came to witness the fantastic job her grandkitten did but wondered why they weren't eating the mouse already, "GD--I don't care if they eat it or not; as long as they kill it they're doing their jobs..."









No comments:

Post a Comment