Friday, June 24, 2011

Redneck Chariot

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FARMER RON! I can't believe this guy is my dad. He doesn't age as quickly as I do.

My dad's farmer smarts allowed him to engineer this redneck rickshaw that he made to start cart breaking his miniature horse, Jelly Bean. (Farmer Ron has grandkids and Amish friends that will both benefit from Jelly Bean. Don't think he would buy an animal that would just lounge around and eat his food. Kids: please take note. You will start earning your dog treats! Yeah, right.


Do you notice what this contraption is made out of? A plastic lawn chair, life-vest cushion and a log cart that my husband gave Farmer Ron--it had a wobbly wheel so it probably works better like this. Though reminiscent of my time spent in a real rickshaw in San Francisco, I was somehow not convinced that it wouldn't break and cause a massive head injury. Apparently, Farmer Ron wasn't phased by that notion and took his daughter out for a spin down the driveway to celebrate his birthday.

What else did he do to celebrate number 62? He took his ladies to an Amish Haystick Dinner: it's a fundraiser for the Amish. You donate whatever money you want to in a big plastic bucket, start at one end of a very long table, and around a dozen Amish girls pile ladle after ladle of food on the same plate: hence, the "haystack." Let me illustrate. I will now describe--in order, first down to last on top--the numerous layers of this easily two-pound plate: cracker crumbs, shredded potatoes, rice, hamburger, baked beans, diced tomatoes, diced green peppers, diced onions, cheese sauce, black olives, and finally crumbled nacho cheese flavored tortilla chips. Did anyone else get heartburn reading that? Ouch. What am I leaving out? I can't remember right now, but let me say that I didn't finish it all. I also had to try to eat black raspberry pie, homemade ice cream and some coffee.

That haystack was surprisingly delicious and it just reiterated the fact that most any combination is delicious together--and, it all ends up in the same place anyway.

I not only got all of that food for $10, but I got to observe dozens of Amish people--some Farmer Ron knows--and they are amazing. Their children are impeccably behaved so I didn't have to drug a single one. It is just interesting watching them interact with us --"Englishers" as we are called by them--and with each other. It was fascinating--a night of anthropology if you will. I am grateful for the experience. I'll have to elaborate on that later, but for now, cheers to you Farmer Ron. You'd better have 62 more birthdays as far as I'm concerned. I sure love you.


2 comments:

  1. The seat should go over the wheels so the mini doesn't feel the weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has to be one of my favorite posts in a long time Kimi. This is something that my family would totally dream up-and I'm so glad we aren't the only ones! And on that note, I can't believe you didn't have to drug a single child :)

    ReplyDelete