Sunday, June 26, 2011

Turkey Tractor QC

Moonshadow, the wild turkey, has been living in a large dog kennel for 2 1/2 weeks. She has grown from a one-day old fluffy chick to a mature young turklet (short for turkey cutlet, I think) and even has a full set of little brown feathers. Her head is still very cute and fluffy with brindle fuzz on it (if you don't know what "brindle" is, see photos in previous posts of Lily). However, Mooner has grown two very scary feet: they are huge with pointy talons and a spur thing that juts backward. Scary! And our baby can even fly now too; once we put her in her new condo--called a turkey tractor, but no wheels yet--she tried to get airborn in there. Before she did that, Mr. H suggested that I do a little quality control (QC) inside the coop to make sure it would be just right for Mooner.

Yup, I thought that sounded a little fishy myself so thought it would be best to make it publicly known that my husband just built a cage big enough for me to fit in. Please check on me regularly, ok?


Yes, I do believe the door works.


Kids--it's just like at the zoo: do NOT put fingers near this cage!


Ok, Mr. H, there's only so many photos that can be taken of this...before it gets creepy.

I'm ready to come out now!


After Mr. H finally helped me out of our wheel-less turkey tractor, we excitedly brought Mooner in to her new pad: she was not as impressed as we are with it.

Mr. H tormenting another one of his ladies in a cage.
Mooner T. Turkey, age 2 1/2 weeks

Let me out! These people are crazy!

Nice job little bird! Mooner is actually in flight!

2 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to November 24th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have racoons around those parts? We do, and we sadly found out chickens and turkeys are dumb enough to poke their heads out to say hi, and sly racoons "try" to pull them through the fence. You can imagine the outcome-kinda graphic!

    ReplyDelete