Sunday, September 18, 2011

Blended Pizza

I never considered myself one of those kids from a "broken home," or a poor, unfortunate kid with divorced parents. That event never defined me--not in the least. What I do remember very acutely was how well my parents did and continue to handle their ongoing relationship with each other. Now, of course, they only have to see each other if there's a major event in my life which they both feel compelled to be a part of. For the most part they just hear about each other in passing, from me.

They were never the type of people to completely bad-mouth the other one; definitely not in front of the kids. This helped my brother and I greatly, I'm sure.

Why in the world would we go down memory lane today? I just returned from Farmer Ron's house with Mr. H to get firewood and have Sunday dinner. While Mr. H was keeping tabs on the Packer game for us with Grandma Esther and Dawn, my stepmom, Farmer Ron and I were in the kitchen making goat milk mozzarella cheese. The milk was from the goats in the pasture, by the way.

When I got home from our Sunday outing I went to the fridge where I had a bag of pizza dough defrosting for a couple of days, not knowing I would score fresh mozzarella in a few days! The pizza dough was left over from Grandma Debbie's stay; mom had made her award-winning pizza while she was here and left some dough for us to make more when the mood struck us.

I constructed a pizza using ingredients from all parents--hence the name "Blended Pizza." Mom's pizza dough, dad's mozzarella, and to make this an official blended family blended pizza, I threw some herbed chevre that Dawn made, on a part of the pizza for a little unconventional kick.



Long story short, it's a special pizza made with lots of love, with help from all of my parents whether they know it or not.

P.S. Incidentally, thirty years and three months ago (January 1981--someone check my math), Farmer Ron and I stood in the kitchen making cheese just like we did today...except that time the recipe called for currants, and this time I didn't need a stool to reach the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment