Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Fresh Off The Vine

Mr. H and I have had a remarkable lucky streak on the gardening front. We had no idea what to expect after five years as desert rats in Arizona. When the vegetables started to grow we were so excited--even though Mr. H doesn't really eat vegetables...unless you consider Hot Pockets "vegetables." To encourage his interest in gardening, Mr. H planted himself a melon patch as large as the rest of the garden and it is slow going, but bearing fruit nonetheless. We got to eat two little yellow watermelons from the patch and they were delicious (they were "white watermelons"--supposed to be yellowish).

Harvesting from the garden has been a bit of a pain because we didn't put our rows far enough apart and then our ranch hand, Grandma Debbie, came along and planted in between those rows with more veggie seeds! I'm just glad she did because we have a beautiful garden. It's going to be 33 degrees overnight tonight, so we won't be able to harvest much longer, so on my lunch break today I went out and spent 15 minutes picking what I could out of the garden.



Fresh off the vine

How hot exactly?

I have no idea which peppers are fish, thai, or jalapeno. I suspect the large greens are jalapeno, but I don't know on the heat scale where the two little ones fall... At least I remember the names of the peppers! 



1 comment:

  1. If the peppers cross-pollinated, then they won't know what they are, either.

    ReplyDelete