Friday, December 30, 2011

Give Me A Sign

I was hoping for a name for our new property to just pop out of the sky--or into my head--but so far, nothing. Thinking it might be the best time for this when we finally throw a housewarming party near spring time is obviously not going to work either. This became apparent as I skidded past my driveway yet again, in a Camry with two refrigerators full of groceries crammed into it. I could actually feel the contents of the trunk roll around as I tried to maneuver into the driveway--way late.

I'm not sure what Mr. H has in mind for names and we all know the hardest part of this will be to get both of us to agree on the identifier for our hobby farm. At the moment I'm leaning towards "The Black Squirrel," because our town is overrun with the little dark fluffy animals. I've rarely seen a black squirrel until I came here and then, I've never seen so many in one area. Not a very majestic, regal, refined, or meaningful name though. I told Mr. H all I picture when I think of the Black Squirrel is the "Black Pearl," Jack Sparrow's boat from "Pirates of the Caribbean." Can you imagine a huge roadside sign with a large black squirrel on it, dressed in pirate garb and an eye patch? Oy. Who knows, maybe that's what the farm is supposed to be named: I mean, Lily perches on Mr. H's shoulder like a parrot and Gunnar is a great first mate. And, well, Loki, Talon and Wulf are definitely "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything."

Most local properties have names like Maple Leaf Farm, or Evergreen Haven...imagine this redneck family moving in, buying a large-ish property and naming it after a pigmentally challenged (or melanin overdosed?), fluffy-tailed rodent!


Someone put a sign in this frame, please

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I'm good with "The Black Squirrel" in pirate garb. Of course, if you want attention, you could go with "The Naked Squirrel" and let people wonder.

    ReplyDelete