Thursday, December 1, 2011

Homer Sweet Home

After four of the most excruciating months trying to close on our property, we managed to do it. But, it was touch and go even DURING the closing. The whole scenario is quite a story in itself, and, since I promised half of my audience that this blog would be "family friendly," my heathen crowd will have to wait for the uncut version when my bestselling book comes out. (I know, I've been waiting for years to finish that thing too. Don't hold you're breath, but it will happen!).

So, after signing hundreds of pages of documents today, we do have a key to the house. I won't even add that we are supposed to have two keys but the seller misplaced one; this she did after re-hiding the lockbox (with house keys inside) because--as she puts it--"it looked like someone was chopping wood on the property." So you hide the lockbox with the house keys in it? Exactly where does she think wood comes from, the guest bedroom? Explanation for the firewood piles: Farmer Ron, who seems rather excited that we will be living close by, dropped off three full cord of wood. That's about three big pickup truck beds full! Huge thanks Dad!

I'm tired and I have got to go to sleep because the next three days are going to be rough...again, the stories I've already got to tell you! The Amish moving crew--courtesy of Farmer Ron, of course--shows up at 9am here at Bluebird Hollow to load us up. But tomorrow holds a fun day of cleaning the new house. What better way to get to know it?

Below is a photo I've posted before and definitely does not do this 5100 square foot house justice (it's a long house so this picture is hiding the majority of the length of the house). The barn is also huge, and we have a very long driveway so we are set back quite a ways from the county road the property is located on. Best feature of the property: we are only five miles from Farmer Ron, Dawn and Grandma Esther! I sense a lot of steak grilling and Scrabble in the future!


Picture taken down by a very small apple tree loaded with
delicious fruit

Two of the gorgeous Amish-built horse stalls

No comments:

Post a Comment