Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Unthinkable

When I lived in Arizona, I wouldn't walk any of the chihuahuas if it was less than 60 degrees outside. You heard correctly: 60. Why? I wouldn't walk them because in a very dry climate 60 feels like 40--almost. In Wisconsin, with a huge amount of humidity and sunshine, 60 can feel like 75.

I am not writing about 60 degrees today; I'm not even writing about temperatures above freezing--or above zero for that matter! Every morning with the exception of yesterday, I have walked the White Husky without fail since we adopted him. I normally walk him twice a day; with my new work schedule, he gets a 5 o'clock morning walk and then his father deals with him in the evening.

Over the past few days we have had sub-zero temps. I don't mean barely sub-zero: I mean -10 or better. This morning it was -22 when I woke up but fortunately working from home today meant that Gunnar and I could walk two hours later than usual. Thank heavens! At 7am the temp had warmed up to a balmy -14F, so after I decided whether just to go out in shorts or actually put on my insulated overalls, G-man and I walked up to the woods. He froze two different paws along the way, but just kind of licked them and walked it off. I knew he was okay when he knowingly dove into three different snow embankments--up to his ears-- to check out any possible creatures burrowed under the frozen blanket. I could not convince anyone at this point that this hybrid came from Arizona. He loves snow and he seems to thrive in colder temperatures; humidity is not his best friend!

...Yeah...I did it...exactly what they tell you not to do: don't put your tongue on anything cold and metal!! I'm not sure why it was required but I do remember I was getting Gunnar out of his condo in the barn (thankfully we weren't outside) and I had my left hand on the gate latch and I took the D-ring off and PUT IT IN MY MOUTH! I stopped for a few seconds as Gunnar ran past me and thought, "Should I even try to move it?" "Why does my lip hurt so bad?" and various other things. Fortunately, there's always a happy ending for the idiotic. As my husband explained, I had only put aluminum in my mouth and not steel; otherwise, I would have required assistance. Then he proceeded to tell me about the metal properties of aluminum versus steel and I was wondering why his lazy ass didn't walk the dog. (He's actually not lazy and I love walking Gunnar).

Right now I must go though, as it is 8am: time to punch the time clock. Luckily we bought a quick "office-in-a-box" at the local Circus Freak Show (Walmart), anticipating the work from home I would be doing, so I am on a wobbly desk with two computers, a mug of coffee, the local Buyer's Guide, and two chihuahuas in dog beds next to me. (I have no idea where the other two are). (In our local Walmart's defense, this is a mild, tame shopping center compared to the email forwards we see).

And, I must go check my winter gear again as I am not entirely sure that one of my fingertips actually came out of the glove with the rest of my hand. (Kind of creepy, like "Into Thin Air.").

1 comment: