Monday, December 20, 2010

Weather Advisory Warning:

I am not proud that it has taken me 34 years to finally admit this and I know how difficult this will be for my friends and family to accept. I didn't want to sit everyone down and explain individually and have a dramatic, snot-filled, tears-and-hugs session with everybody. Besides, why not just tell the whole world and get it all over with in one fell swoop?

It is time I come out and not hide the fact that... I LOVE SNOW! Believe me, no one is more shocked than I am, but it doesn't pain me as much as I thought it would to finally admit this truth. I've only known for a few weeks so I really haven't had time to get used to it either. Well, I really haven't known for that long--I had suspicions.  (I know this will dramatically affect our relationship, Seneca, and I wanted to tell you in person, but I didn't even know myself when we were in Vegas together a few weeks ago. Try not to be too disappointed in me).

I even love to shovel snow, which I was doing just now in my pajamas, rain boots, scarf, and cap, with the chihuahuas observing from indoors. (What? I wasn't going to get all dressed up when it's 24 degrees outside. I was burning up!).

I love all kinds of snow. I love snow that is cold, fluffy and light. I love that sometimes it's wet and heavy and slushy--but not as much as the cold, fluffy and light, kind.  I love all types of snow: white, gray, yellow, and brown.  I don't eat or drink the yellow or brown varietals though: they taste funny.

I guess I came to this conclusion --about loving snow, not about eating yellow snow--on the 2 and 1/2 hour commute I just had in a mini snow blizzard. That is a long commute but it was pretty: it's always pretty in four-wheel drive! I also learned a couple of things:

1) Fog lights are amazing! They do great work in snowy conditions, just like they do in rain.
2) I understand the definition of "snowblind" now, although my version occurs during dark hours instead of daylight.
3) I also learned the destination of the idiot in front of me as she had her GPS mounted to her windshield so high up that I could almost push the buttons if I leaned forward.
4) I learned that it still doesn't matter if you have an Arizona license plate: some Wisconsinites just don't realize that should be their first line indicator that the person behind the wheel has no winter road skills and they might do better if they backed off my luggage rack!

1 comment: