Thursday, September 23, 2010

Loki's Plea

I've always been jealous of business owners who are able to bring their dog to work with them.  That is my ideal job: any job that allows you to take your dog to work. Then I realized that for the past two years, I have taken my dog to work: I've been a full-tme student--that was my job-- and Loki has been by my side every day for two years.  We would get up in the morning, I would walk all of the dogs --in shifts -- and then Loki and I would take our coffee and head out to the little writing studio/office that Bill and I created in the backyard of our house in Arizona. The studio is a little 10x8 shed that we cleaned, painted, and spruced up complete with a big benchseat/napping place that Bill built for me.  It was my favorite place, and apparently Loki's too.


Loki's favorite place to be on any given day was on top of my desk next to the computer or behind me on the benchseat on top of a crocheted blanket that my stepmom made for Bill and I. Loki would yell at me in whatever dog language he was using, to tell me to put him up on top of the desk; or, he would look up at the benchseat and growl.  He's a complex little creature, but thankfully, easy to please.



He was used to spending up to nine hours a day with me in the studio, away from the other dogs, in his own little room. (He's one of those dogs that would actually be okay as an only child). So why is Loki extending a plea right now?

He hates his father's new home office which is an open room in the middle of the house; it's not closed in on all four sides like a regular office.  Loki doesn't have any "personal" space where he can freely surf the internet and trade on the European and Asian markets he is used to. He was a very big player in the Chinese market and he's afraid that if he doesn't get an office soon, all markets will crash and his stocks will bottom out.  So please, if there is an interior decorator or furniture company that would dedicate their time--and some free furniture--to Loki's home in the Madison area, he has a room all picked out for his office: he just needs it put together for him.  (Seriously--there are enough rooms in this house for Loki and I to each have our own office, but we work better in tandem, so we will continue to share an office, desk, chair, and lounge seat).

For now, Loki and I are in the living room doing our work and he is getting quite cranky about it: every couple of hours he will go in and sit next to Bill's office chair with an absolute sour grapes expression on his face: a disdainful look if you will.


ca. May 2010: Loki in his natural habitat: the Arizona writing studio, calculating numbers and figures.



No comments:

Post a Comment