Sunday, March 6, 2011

Furry Farm Field Trip!

I found a wonderful farm near Bluebird Hollow (where Homer Hollow is located) called Creachann Gleann that has a small, beautiful, herd of Scottish Highland cattle. If you've never seen these creatures, you're in for a treat. They are not only beautiful to look at, but they're wonderful in disposition. Unfortunately, they're not quite as friendly as my Husky, but if raised from childhood--calf-hood--they will supposedly get that tame.



Luring A Fluffy Friend


"C'mon, I just wanna pet you--and kiss you!"
Our new friends Ben and Mary take impeccable care of their fluffy herd, and are brilliantly responsible with the care and breeding of this cherished bloodline. So, when two amateurs showed up at their door today wanting to see their animals, who knows what could have been going through their mind? They were very welcoming and we got the million-dollar tour. Not only did we get to walk around the property and meet every animal, but I got to snuggle with a calf who was a bit reluctant at first, and then decided I was his bbf (best bovine friend)--he being the bovine one of course.


Asking a lot of questions
I've been corresponding with Ben and Mary for a few months and settling on a day to come visit when we were both available. Now the only decision Mr. H and I have to make is, can we raise a couple of Scottish Highlands? Should we even attempt something like that? Should they live at Farmer Ron's house? (Wouldn't he be surprised? I doubt that would go over well on the goat farm).

He says, "Hey, I'm ready to socialize now!"



"Hey Mr. H: if I move that big box of books in the back,
Red here will fit in my SUV, won't he?"
Speaking of not going over well, I have to come to the realization that some of my new fluffy friends will have to be eaten. We were served a great lunch of Highland dogs today: Scottish Highland Beef Hot Dogs. They were delicious! I can get over pretty much anything if I'm adequately fed.

Excess fluff, one week old!

A Scottish Highland in their natural habitat:
well, not a Scottish Highland, nor a natural habitat--
but he looks like he could belong to their clan.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I have been looking at Scottish highlands and found Mary too. She sent me your web page so I could look at their farm through your eyes.I too have been thinking of buying a highland or two. I am a certified veterinary technician. I have a whole slew of rescues and also raise Accoyo alpacas. I think I might have to get a cow (or two) to live out it's life here at my farm. Thanks for posting pics.

    Sheila
    Soaring Spirits Farm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila! I'm so sorry I didn't respond sooner. I've been crazy busy--just got a goat from my dad and we are now the caretakers of two fluffy little Mini horses of my Aunt's. She arrived on Thursday and one of them has been sick--I have learned a lot about horses in the last 48 hours. Ben and Mary at Creachann Gleann have a beautiful farm full of fuzzy cows. They are gorgeous. I don't have enough room for them to roam and I wanted to try to keep a few farm animals before attempting a foreign (and wee bit more pricey one) such as a Highland. They are beautiful and I have to admit: tasty. Good luck in your ventures!

    ReplyDelete