Saturday, March 26, 2011

My Dog Needs A Doggy Bag aka Gunnar's Happy Meal To Go

Gunnar's stats-
Mice: 4
Tiny Snakes: 2
Moles: 1
Wooly Caterpillars; 2

I promise to always have a camera with me from now on. Not that you would've wanted a picture of every moment of this brunch that I had to witness, but just in general, I promise to try to capture the poignant moments I write about with at least one photograph. Words won't do this one justice.

Gunnar and I had barely strolled down our road towards the dead end--it's very scenic down there, and we love to peer into the creek to check for minnows. (Gunnar is also sniffing deer tracks into the water or up the bank).

Today, Gunnar pounced into the ditch--which is an every day occurrence, so I wasn't worried. He usually pretends to pounce on something that he thinks might be lurking underneath the brown, matted grass from fall. And 80% of the time, he jumps up with nothing...today was not one of those days. Before I could confirm that this wasn't a drill, old blue eyes popped back up with a HUGE black field mouse. Now, I have been through this before: there is no way he is going to give the rodent up unless I dig into his mouth and grab it, which will also make him chomp on it and defeat the purpose. Therefore, when I realized that this mouse was going on the walk with us--at least part way--I just tried to stay upright and not throw up on my neighbor's lawn. I had no coffee or breakfast in my stomach and somehow this rodent brunch was making me nauseous--even though I wasn't the one eating it!

Then, Gunnar just started tormenting me, probably on purpose. He started throwing the mouse up in the air and catching it; or, he'd shake it hard back and forth-- as if it wasn't already unconcious. I continued to question whether I would need to "pull over" and dry heave, between "Oh Gunnar, c'mon's."

And that, my friends, is a Saturday morning walk with the white Husky.

1 comment:

  1. You'd rather he become a vegetarian? Have you bought in to that liberal "Disney" world where mice talk, a lion eats sushi instead of his friend the zebra, and good guys are all vegan?

    Celebrate the circle of life! Take joy in your pet's manliness. Appreciate the fact that there's one less vermin in the world.

    Common, he's trying to impress you - give the poor fellow a pat on the head and let him know he's a "Good Boy."

    And give Gunner a scratch behind the ears, too!

    ReplyDelete