Saturday, October 9, 2010

Gunnar's Gift

No, we actually haven't discovered any special gifts or hidden talents that Gunnar has been hiding from us:  he's basically just a friendly boy with a pretty face. He has a pretty easy life though that doesn't require any special skills, survival or otherwise.  Gunnar gets fed twice a day, walked at least twice a day and he gets to romp in the yard with the chihuahuas when he wants to. He never wants to; he does not like his scary little brothers, although we've all made HUGE progress.

This evening he and I were out on one of our extra long walks because the weather was so awesome.  We haven't met too many of our neighbors and the ones we have run into, Gunnar wanted to jump up and hug--not everyone finds this endearing.

While we were headed back home, Gunnar had to go "big" potty, so I got my plastic grocery bag in position: inside out, over ALL of my hand, and double checking to make sure the bag had no holes in it. I bent over to put Gunnar's package in its gift wrapping and I heard somebody talking to me.  I finished tying the bow on this package and I looked over to see a guy looking at me through an open truck window, through the open door to his work truck. 

I said, "What?"
He says, "You don't have to do that out here."
I say, "Well, he's a big dog and he poops twice a day, every day when we're out on a walk. I didn't want the neighbors to kick us out, and I didn't want to see what the road would look like full of this stuff."
He says, "Oh, no, no big deal, you're in the country!"
Please imagine him saying all of this with a very thick Northern accent and a bit of a silly smirk. Also, the tone of his voice was a bit amused and bemused, with a hint of crazy; not crazy as in he might be crazy, but crazy as in, "that girl is not from around here and won't last the winter" crazy.

4 comments:

  1. Gunnar is saying "Yeah, but I'LL make it through the winter! Nanner nanner nannnerrr!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gunnar is not self-aware enough to be doing either of those two things, you guys. He's scratching his butt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well he certainly has you fooled then, doesn't he?

    ReplyDelete