Friday, November 5, 2010

Climbing the Corporate Ladder, One Doodle at a Time

November 5th, Day Five:

I mentioned that every item in my office building is gray, right? Let me just say that the vice president is getting tired of me turning into his office and expecting to squeeze hot water for my tea out of his “Best of 2005” statue. Another poor bastard had to help me load the printer with legal-sized paper. I have never had to use legal paper in a printer (or anywhere) in my life, and there is a secret compartment in our printers over there at the CIA where you have to manually install the legal paper for “special” documents. That was exactly what I was working on: “special documents.” Not special like government clearance or secret scientific research.  Special documents like Kimi-is-making-a-doodle-for-the-first time-with-a-new-software-application-she’s-never-seen-before-special.

The man helping me load the legal paper asks, “This isn’t your job, is it?” Embarrassed, I laughed and said, “No. This is my job,” and I pointed to my doodle that had just come off the printer. I’m sure he called HR then and there asking how I managed to pass the bar into this company, let alone the background check!

No comments:

Post a Comment