Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Working Girl

November 2nd, Day Two:

After my first day with little instruction really as to how I start accomplishing the large tasks ahead of me, I started asking a lot of questions on day two. By 10am I had a game plan, meetings to go to, class observations scheduled, and a stack of a dozen books that I needed to have thoroughly memorized by January—makes my stomach hurt to think about all that information that is supposed to quickly and accurately fit into my brain! 

By day two I had also become the office equipment pirate: I had to grab a comfortable chair, cords, and computer mouse from any other cubicle that appeared to look deserted. It’s kind of sad and criminal when described that way, but true: I went through three chairs, stole a mouse and seat cushion (these chairs are really rough on the back), and a couple of computer cables by the end of day two.

That wasn’t even the sad part! The IT guys in the man cave downstairs finally had my new (used, refurbished, semi-demolished) laptop ready for me with the software and settings I needed. I get it handed to me and almost fall over: imagine someone throwing a 30-pound pumpkin at me. I would not stay upright if that happened and hanging onto this laptop is a similar sensation, which is why my wonderful husband knew I was going to need a briefcase on wheels—and that is what he got me.

I am a dork in dorky office clothing driving my yuppie urban assault vehicle to work to sit still (which I do miserably) all day long and use my brain. Ouch! Where are my blue jeans and rain boots and “Cousin Eddie” hats? Where is my goat farm? I want to go make firewood with Farmer Ron. It’s kid goat season and every day through November he is going to a farm to pick up a handful of baby goats to bring to his farm. I’m so jealous.

How are the dogs coping without me? I’m missing their first words, first steps, and their formative years. Next, I’ll turn around and they’ll be twice as big and tall as when I left them at home two weeks ago at five, five, eleven, and twelve pounds, respectively. (In actual years the “kids” are 12, 8, 8, and 7, so I don’t think they will grow much more, and if Gunnar (age 2-ish) gets any bigger I am not going to be able to walk him! We think he’s done growing too).

Luckily my mom was visiting for the first few days I worked, so the dogs had their grandmother with them to keep them occupied. As you can see Loki is hiding his separation anxiety from me while napping in Grandma Debbie's arms. (The kid really looks excited, doesn't he?):

No comments:

Post a Comment