Thursday, November 11, 2010

Time For Bed

A very dear friend of mine --one of the dearest that ever was and ever will be -- sent me a book. I adore this person and I adore books, so I cherish the gift. During this hectic time where I am now transitioning from a stay at home Chihuahua mom to a full time career girl --as well as adjusting to life more than half way across the country-- my friend sensed that a book about time would be appropriate. I'd say this is about right.

Basically, our daily conversations went from topics like food, guns, dogs, and coffee (we are both enthusiasts of all of those subjects) to my whinings about time escaping me and the usual high anxiety that a new job produces. Mind you, I'm also in charge of grading papers for my friend's fifty freshman-level students, as I am the teaching assistant for a college course he teaches. Now you might see why he'd want to keep me relatively sane; otherwise, he'd have to grade all of those assignments himself!

The book he gave me is called "Time and the Art of Living," by Robert Grudin, and contains numerous short essays about time, and how we as humans conceptualize it. I've only read a dozen of the essays and have many more to go, but a couple of them have resounded with me and they both allude to the fact that humans spend too much time looking into the past and future and not as much on the present. Now, we aren't dogs, so hovering in the present every minute of the day is probably not healthy for those of us who don't pee on lawn gnomes or drink out of the toilet.

What does this have to do with my hectic, new schedule? I have a one hour commute each way, to and from work. I have a lot of time to think: driving by myself is when I really wish I could write, but clearly those of you who have seen me drive know I can't do both of those tasks at once. Anyway, my point again -- I swear I'm getting to it -- is that all five of my blog fans are wondering when new posts are coming. My dedicated ones, I swear I will have new posts up no later than Sunday night, barring any dog, husband, or chicken plucking emergencies.

Believe me, I have things to blog about--and for the record, I don't like using the word "blog" as a verb. Frankly, I could write a very boring post about that--but I won't. Here's a preview of upcoming topics discussed, that you can look forward to, as kind of a "thank you" for waiting:
1. Office-friendly foods
2. Legal-size paper in a printer-whoa!
3. Stevia cocaine
4. 10 days to perfection (this includes the "hot water" machine)
5. The office equipment pirate
6. Kimi, the White Rabbit
7, 8, 9, 10... Any number of weird words and phrases that I can't understand floating around my office at any given time.....

Thank you for being patient.
(P.S. You'll have to scroll beneath this post to read about all of these office antics!)



The Clockmaker, 1955, by Remedios Varo. Time, time, time....

1 comment:

  1. A favorite office food recipe: scramble one egg, place in 1 cup sized microwavable type food transportation container. Toast a bagel or English muffin. Microwave egg for 45 seconds. Pop out egg onto muffin. Add shredded cheese and/or hot sauce if desired. This is very easy, clean, and tasty. And it doesn't stink up the kitchen.

    Should I tell you the story about the secretary at Arthur Andersen who decided to microwave fish for lunch one day? Holy mackerel!

    ReplyDelete