Saturday, November 20, 2010

Frozen in Time

This is not a flattering photo, but it gets the message across:


I waited until 7am to walk the White Husky today as it is Saturday and I needed to catch up on some sleep. I also knew it was the big opening for deer hunting season today, so I wasn't looking forward to strolling down a road with woods on either side. I was prepared and bought an orange vest a few weeks ago. I really didn't buy it for this reason, but was glad to have it. The real reason is extremely embarrassing, but no more embarrassing than the photo directly above this paragraph so I will tell you why I got it.

I got the orange vest for my walks with Gunnar (aka the White Husky) because I figured at some point he will throw me into a ditch, ravine, tree, mailbox, or any number of objects while he's chasing a squirrel, deer, bird, or wooly caterpillar, and then I will be rendered completely unconcious or at least unable to move with a lower back that will refuse to allow it.

I've been very proud of myself thus far because I have maintained a walking schedule with Gunnar twice a day since arriving here September 1st. He lives in a large area in the barn where he has access to the indoors and out, but he doesn't get to run around unless we are playing with him. He is a "runner" and a "digger" so he's always on probation, the poor boy.

The other thing I've been extremely proud of is the way I have been able to handle the weather when I'm out walking him or doing chores. This weather tolerance only extends to the homestead stuff, as I cannot put up with much while dressed in work clothes. I don't care who pokes fun of me at the water cooler, I will be wearing boots and possibly a snowsuit to work when things get a little whiter and fluffier around here.

The weather is not a big issue until you add wind and then it's game on with the weather "1," and Kimi "0."
Today, the weather won. I was so scared my face would be frozen when I got home. Gunnar was just so thrilled to be wandering down the road again, and he is never fazed by precipitation or temperature. He will be alot of fun in the winter, and Bill and I are excitedly waiting to see how the Arizona White Husky handles his first snowfall.

Look at that picture carefully: my face is red and almost looks swollen. There is a tear forming in my left eye and one rolling down my right cheek--cold and wind makes that happen. I'm not actually crying! And, I do believe that I'm so cold that I've gone cross-eyed?! Is that supposed to happen?

1 comment: