Monday, April 11, 2011

The Littlest Ranch Hand That Could

Would someone please tell Lily (and I) what sort of farm tool/implement to use to pick up horse apples out of a field full of long dry grass? We have tried a pitch fork, a blue plastic snow shovel, a heavy, square bury-it-in-the-backyard shovel and nothing will get that stuff into my wheelbarrow very easily. I almost resorted to using chop sticks, as they are the only way to pick up anything. However, Mr. H and I learned this while living in Arizona and let me tell you something: I used to have an inexhaustible collection of wooden chopsticks. I have 2 1/2 chopsticks left.

Yeah, that's Lily's tongue sticking out a bit. She's relaxed.
Farm chores relax her.

2 comments:

  1. The best way to turn horse feathers into compost is to hire some free range chickens. After a few days, they'll scratch the apples apart to get at the maggots. You're better off collecting eggs than fritters anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horse apples? Really? I'm pretty sure they make specific rakes for such things in which the tines are just perfectly spaced so nothing falls through. Rklawton has a good point with the chickens, but then you'll be asking how to clean up the poultry squirts, and I don't think we would want to go there, now would we?

    ReplyDelete